Sunday, January 6, 2013

Some of Raef's story/my random crazy lady thoughts

Unless you don't get on Facebook, you probably know Raef was born. He decided to make his debut without much warning.

1/4/2013
9:31pm
5lbs, 10oz
18.5in long

He is the sweetest little guy and I'm so in love. We're still in the hospital and I'm trying not to go crazy.

So after I was discharged Friday from triage, Austin and I went to my parents, because my mom had the girls. I literally just sat on the couch the rest of the day unless I had to go to the bathroom. I also had Austin go get the carseat i decided on for our 3-in-row deal, but had not bought yet! I think it was around 4:30 when I started feeling my contraction more. We decided to head home at 5, because my dear friend was bringing me dinner and I wanted to get the girls to bed early. In the 20min drive home, my contractions increased a whole lot. I really don't know how close together they ever were... I was in pretty big denial I was actually having a baby. By the time we got home though, I started crying once again and knew it was time to pack everyone's bags. I texted my mom to have her drive over and we got ready for the hospital.

We got to Mercy Gilbert around 6:30, I checked back into Triage and was so emotional. Every nurse I had try to tell me everything was going to be ok. I was not mentally prepared for this at all and was so worried about having a preterm baby. I was 6cm when I got checked and got sent to labor and delivery. Because I hadn't even had some testing done yet, I had to be on antibiotics while in labor. I opted for an epidural right after hearing that. I really wish I didn't have to, but I was having a lot of anxiety. I know it did help me, but by the time he was +1 I could feel pretty much everything. It was bad, because i was feeling light headed, but good so I had complete control on pushing him at the right times. Also, my epidural spot has been the most sore area in the past 24hrs. I guess that's a good sign that everything else is recovering quickly. Anyway, my water broke at 8cm and Raef was born really soon after.

He came out with a cry and breathed on his own. Because, he's preterm we met with the nicu people while i was laboring and they warned us about potential problems. We were told that babies born this gestational stage are usually 4lbs and spend 1-2 weeks in the nicu, but eventually turn out just like any other baby. I was able to hold him and bond a little before they took him.

He's using the CPAP machine, so he doesn't have to work so hard at breathing, They are lowering the pressure and hope to have him off of it really soon. They x-rays show that his lungs are maturing. He sucks a binky good and has done well with all the poking. It is so hard for me to watch... I really don't do well with this stuff. I just can't wait to take him home and have him for myself. I know eventually everything will be perfectly normal, but right now it does not feel like it. Please pray for him that he'll catch up really soon and pray for me to be strong.

I know he's doing really well for being 5 weeks early, but I've done this baby thing 2 other times and this is just not the experience I could have imagined for myself. I know I'm very blessed though. I think that God is teaching me to rely on Him more and that I can't do everything on my own.

Raef is so cute and I can't wait to get better pictures of him for you. Loving 3 kids is really easy. I'm so grateful to have a son.

3 comments:

  1. Hope all is well! So happy he is doing good. We'll pray for you guys! Can't wait to see more pictures. The ones of have seen on facebook though are so dang cute. Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an extraordinary eperience! You have such inspiring faith, Chelsie! I am so happy to hear how well he is doing!!! What a trooper!! Congratulations again on such an amazing son!!! So happy for you both and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the detailed update! Praying for you and baby Raef! :)

    ReplyDelete