Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Improvements

Raef has made big improvements the past couple days. He's getting closer to coming home slowly, but surely. I'm still very anxious for him to come home, but I also want to make sure he is totally healthy and ready. I don't want any turn backs after this experience.

He was taken off the ventilator on Saturday and was using a vapo therm. As of today, he is now using a high flow nasal cannula. His oxygen level is 23% (norm is 21%) and the pressure level is 1.5. He's so close! He's just still figuring out how to work his lungs and keep them at a steady rhythm. I got to feed him a bottle today, which he took like a champ. I'm very proud of him. He also really likes his binky, which I'm happy about. I still can't wait to nurse him! I don't think pumping is any easier than nursing. I know I won't be done pumping for a while though... I'll be doing both till he's strong with nursing and everything is evened out. I think I'm learning a lot of patience with all these baby steps.

We still have no clue when he'll be home. I don't even ask anymore, because I don't want to get my hopes up. I just keep having to remind myself that he should still be cooking inside me, so it's ok he's not home. I just feel like I should be lugging 3 kids around now! Sounds crazy, but it's funny how fast your world changes. :)

Oh, and breast milk anyone?? I'm considering selling some... ;)







2 comments:

  1. Huh, I've never seen breast milk labeled as hazardous material before. He is a cutie! Hope you get to bring him home soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I thought it was funny too! Apparently that's the easiest access of bags for NICU's.

      Delete