I've been wanting to write something on my ppd experience, but haven't known how. I'm not much of good writer, but I've been wanting to express myself on paper where I know someone will read it. 1 in 5-7 women experience some of the same postpartum depression symptoms that I have. I had no idea how common it was, because nobody talks about it. I didn't want to be that person. Anyone who knows me well knows i'm not fake, i don't hide things well, and i'm definitely a terrible liar. I know everyone is not perfect, but sometimes I get the vibe that people just think that I have everything under control just fine. Don't get my wrong, I like that the majority of people I see regularly make me feel good about myself as a mother, but this started to be something that I was sick of hiding. Something that I have had to come to realize that I had no control over. I may seem organized or calm or whatever it is I get complimented on, but I work so hard to get the results I want out of myself and my family. This is why having ppd is one of the hardest things I've ever dealt with. It didn't matter how hard I worked, how much I played with the kids, how patient I was, how clean the house was, how completely in control everything was for just having a baby, at the end of the day I was bombarded by feelings of depression, not being good enough, and only being able to see the mistakes I had made that day. And then the guilt would set in. Oh the guilt!! I have never felt such worse pain in my life... It was absolute torture! I have felt like a terrible mother, the 2nd most important thing to me in my life. I can honestly say that I know that being a mom is my destiny. This is what I'm supposed to be doing right now and I couldn't imagine doing anything else. Yet, I felt like an utter failure, because I was not handling it well and I could not find the Joy that I expected to experience.
After Raef was born things were really hard... I think I've mentioned that once or twice, yeah? ;) I felt like I was forced to have a baby at the completely wrong time, my baby was taken from me, I was sent home without him, and then ran around like a mad woman for 2 weeks. I felt like I got no help and no transition time. The thing is, people DID help me! Our parents were constantly watching the girls and our ward brought us dinners every other night for the entire 2 weeks, but I did not feel like I was getting any help, any break, and nothing I needed as a new mother to 3 kids. Oh, and sleep? Please... I'm STILL trying to get my body to sleep. I was at the hospital with Raef, and then to my parents to pick the girls up, and then home to take care of them. Back to the hospital when Austin was home, and some nights I would get home late at night and I had felt like nothing was done around the house like it should have been. (Obviously right? Well I couldn't take it.) some nights I would stay up late and just cry while tidying up, doing the dishes, and folding some laundry. As I look back, I can now see how and when my ppd started. At the time though, I knew things were crazy and hard and just thought they would get better. Well, things did get better. I just didn't get better. People would see me and compliment me on how good I looked for just having a baby. In my head, "well I didn't have any time to sit at home and act like I just had a baby. It's a stinking good thing my body recovers quickly!" It took me a while to realize that I wasn't just crazy, and something serious was going on inside of me. Some of the things I'd experience...
Total loss of memory. I could not remember things and was always forgetting something! I am NOT a forgetful person.
Not being able to focus and concentrate. I felt so scatterbrained all the time. This has made every day so hard.
Getting mad really easily over the littlest things.
Major OCD and perfectionism. I have wanted everything to be perfect, which is so unrealistic and I know that, but I can't control how my brain is responding to what I feel like is chaos.
While trying to calmly overcome my OCD episodes, I did not like anyone near me, which with toddlers... Well you can just imagine how hard that would be.
After lots of crying, pleading to Heavenly Father for help, and conversations with Austin and some friends, I decided to go see my midwife for help. The week I decided to do this though, she was out of town. I went in to see someone else anyway and I did not like this lady. I didn't feel she was addressing my needs personally and just wanted to prescribe me antidepressants. (Now I wouldn't judge someone who does choose antidepressants... I just didn't think it was the right thing for me.) Discouraged, I text my midwife for help and she thought I should go see a counselor. I'm so glad she did, because it has been SO helpful. I'm taking lots of fish oil and on the better road to getting this behind me. It's been nice to know that I'm not alone in this and that these feelings are from a series of events and my hormones being imbalanced. Not something I did to make myself a crazy lady.
I know that I'm a daughter of God and that my loving Father in Heaven has a plan for me. How grateful I am for the atonement... For I know Christ has been with me through all of this. If it wasn't for Him, I don't think I could have kept pushing forward and taking care of my family the way I have been. I know that though I have felt so alone, I have not been alone. Guys, I have some amazing kids. I'd like to think I get some credit for that, but I don't think I do... I know my God and Savior have been helping me through it. One of the hardest parts of all of this is my feeling of not feeling worthy to be a mother. If I can't handle it the way I should, then why am I mom?? Prayer has brought me hope though. I can hope for better days and more good days than bad ones. I can hope that this trial will only last a short while and that I will fulfill my role as a wife and mother to the potential I have set for me. This trial doesn't define me and I know I'm getting stronger each day. It isn't about being a perfect mom. It's about being a good enough mom and learning and growing and relying on Christ. I am blessed.
If you don't have anything nice to say then please don't comment. If you do though, or have anything in common with me from the novel you just read, please comment. I'm sure it will brighten my day. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I love you Chelsie, and I admire you so much for your faith even through the difficult times. You are such a good example to me and I hope to be the kind of mother that you are to your sweet kids. Call me anytime you want to talk, I would love to hear from you!
ReplyDeleteOh Chelsie, I'm sorry! I had ppd with Cooper & I thought I was loosing my mind! It is an experience that has forever changed me & my outlook on life. I know it's hard now, but it will get better. One of my favorite scriptures is D&C 122:7 - at that time it literally felt as if the jaws of hell were ripping me apart. But the promise at the end "...that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good." give me a lot of hope. It is hard {miserable even} now, but that just means good things are coming!
ReplyDeleteOh my yes this is exactly me! I love the promise that it will get better! You really are a wonderful mother and I learn so much from just being around you and seeing you with your kids.
ReplyDeleteYou are AWESOME, Chelsie!!!! Love you!
ReplyDeleteThank you for writing this Chelsie! I know it's not easy to share something so personal and hard. I love you!
ReplyDeleteYou are truly amazing! I know I was one of the people who thought and told you how I thought you had it all together. I think it is great you are opening up. I battle depression and know it will always be a struggle and also anxiety. I used to try to hide it but I am more open about it now. More so my anxiety then depression, but still I have realized opening up even a little it has helped me alot. I haven't had ppd, but I can relate to everything you shared from just the depression periods I have battled. Again you are amazing! And if you ever need to talk...call me!
ReplyDeleteChelsie you are such an amazing mom, way better than me. I admire you so much! I am so so sorry that you are going through this. I love you with all my heart. I couldn't ask for a better daughter than you. I am so thankful that you brought my 3 beautiful grandchildren into this world. I can't imagine life without them or you. I love all of you so much!! I am always here for you for anything you need. Just call me. Dad and I want to take the kids for a sleepover soon, so you can get some rest. We also want to take you on a horse ride. It is really relaxing and great therapy. You are and amazing mom, daughter, wife, sister, and daughter of god! xoxox Mom
ReplyDeleteChelsie, I love this! I completely understand how you feel. I went through a lot of the same stuff. We are a lot a like. I completely understand the perfectionism and ocd stuff. I will say with more kids and more experience it is easier to let that stuff go,or be more relaxed. Because you just don't have the time. I also get the you are so calm and have everything under control when inside you feel like your boiling and ready to explode. Hang in there, we love and miss you guys!
ReplyDeleteChelsie, thank you so much for your bravery in sharing something so personal and intimate. As I have said before, I look up to you as you climb these mountains placed before you. One of the hardest things about being a mother is the confusion. How society makes us believe we're meant to recover and bounce back from everything life throws at us. And if we struggle, we feel like we're different and need to hide it. I have definitely struggled with feeling adequate as a mother, too. And I love that you mentioned the guilt! Yes! What an overwhelmingly, painful feeling! I am sorry to hear of this struggle and yet, so happy to hear your triumph over it. How you were able to address it and know what you needed. I am so proud of your honesty, and I know Heavenly Father is pleased with you sharing your story with others. You have and will be helping so many woman both who are struggling too, and those who are now aware. Stay strong, Chelsie, you are truly a remarkable lady!
ReplyDeleteI was lucky enough to have my ppd only last a few days... and mine wasn't after I had Evan, but rather, after I stopped nursing him at about a year old. It was like I was a different person though, I felt trapped inside myself, nothing could make me happy, nothing could make me feel hopeful, and the real, normal, sane Whitney was trapped inside my head screaming that logically, all these thoughts and worries I was having didn't make any sense. After 2-3 days of not knowing what the heck was wrong with me, I realized it had to be hormones from the nursing change, and that it was depression. Once I realized it was hormone imbalance depression, not me, it made it easier to bear and I was able to reach out for help. Thankfully, it went away after a week or so, but those were some dark days. Depression sucks. Don't be afraid to ask for help and if you ever want to chat, please call me. Love you lots and thanks for sharing something so personal.
ReplyDeleteChelsie, I am so thankful you shared this and that I happened to come upon it. Your openness about this is a blessing to me and I know will be a blessing to others. I've struggled with depression for many years (strangely, not postpartum), and I can identify with those out of control feelings. Thank you for reminding me about fish oil! I have neglected taking all of my usual supplements lately and I can tell the difference. You're amazing, and it will get better. If we could all be open and forthcoming about our struggles I think they'd be a little easier to bear. Thanks for setting that example.
ReplyDeleteSharon McPeek
Chelsie I'm so sorry for your difficult trials. That's awesome that you're willing to share your experience. O know it will strengthen someone else who is also struggling. You are a great mother. We love you! xxxxx
ReplyDelete